Brian J. NevillePartner
Brian J. Neville, a founding partner of Lax & Neville LLP, has significant experience in broker/dealer, securities, regulatory defense, employment and commercial litigation in arbitration forums and state and federal courts. He has arbitrated cases in at least 18 states and has been lead counsel on well over 500 matters.
Mr. Neville has successfully represented investors and broker dealers in disputes involving sales practice issues and employment disputes. Mr. Neville also represents firms and registered representatives in enforcement actions by Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, Inc. (“FINRA”) (formerly the NASD and NYSE) and the Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”). On behalf of investors, he has recovered in excess of $50 million. On behalf of his defense clients, which tend to be individual registered representatives, management of broker dealers or smaller/regional brokerage firms, he has successfully defended and resolved numerous cases.
In complex commercial litigation and American Arbitration Association (“AAA”) arbitration, Mr. Neville has represented hedge funds and boutique investment banks against issuers and others in highly sophisticated litigation and obtained significant arbitration awards and settlements for his clients. Mr. Neville has argued important arbitration related issues in state and federal court and has successfully defended significant arbitration award appeals in the Second Circuit Court of Appeals.
Mr. Neville also is a nationally renowned in representing registered representatives in their transitions between brokerage firms, many of which are the highest earning individuals or teams in the industry. Mr. Neville negotiates employment contracts and severance payments for his clients and advises them of the regulatory and legal risks inherent to changing firm. Mr. Neville also creates and negotiates succession plans to protect and monetize his clients’ book of business. He has been qualified as an expert witness on the industry standards regarding transitions pursuant to the Protocol for Broker Recruiting, and on industry standards and practices on recruiting and retention of a financial advisor’s clients. He has been featured and quoted in "Registered Rep" and "On Wall Street" magazines for his expertise and experience on broker recruiting issues and expungement of a broker's publically disclosed records.
Mr. Neville has significant experience in SIPC liquidation matters representing investors in several aspects of the process, including, defending significant avoidance and preference (“Clawback”) claims in Federal Court.
Based on his expertise, Mr. Neville has been featured in the media, both nationally and locally, in news programs and in an array of publications.
J.D., New York Law School, New York, New York, 1993
B.S., University of Scranton, Scranton, Pennsylvania, 1990
U.S. District Court District of New Jersey
U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
New York County Lawyers' Association
Association of the Bar of the City New York
- Arbitrator and Designated Chairperson, FINRA Dispute Resolution
- Adjunct Professor, Business Law
- Josephthal & Co., Inc., Associate General Counsel, 1996 - 2000
- Prudential Securities Incorporated, Attorney, 1994 - 1996
- November 14, 2012 - "Securities Arbitration and Mediation 2012: The Basics Evolve" - New York State Bar Association CLE Program
- Ameriprise Elite Producer Events
- September 8 and 9, 2011 – "Avoiding Litigation – Protecting Your Practice" Seminar - Huntington Beach, California
- October 13 and 14, 2011 - "Avoiding Litigation – Protecting Your Practice" Seminar - Hollywood, Florida
- Curian Capital
- May 5, 2011 - "Avoiding Litigation: How to Protect your Practice in Today's Environment" Seminar
- John Hancock
- September 29 and 30, 2009 – "Avoiding Litigation: How to Protect your Practice in Today's Environment" Seminar - Baltimore, Maryland
- February 12, 2010 – "How to Protect your Practice in Today's Environment" Seminar - Mahwah, New Jersey
- October 15, 2009 – "Avoiding Litigation: How to Protect your Practice in Today's Environment" Seminar - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- July 21, 2010 – "Avoiding Litigation: How to Protect your Practice in Today's Environment" Seminar - Boca Raton, Florida
- May 12, 2010 - "Avoiding Litigation: How to Protect your Practice in Today's Environment" Seminar - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- May 6, 2010 - "Avoiding Litigation: How to Protect your Practice in Today's Environment" Seminar - Redbank, New Jersey
- May 18, 2010 - "Avoiding Litigation: How to Protect your Practice in Today's Environment" Seminar - Redbank, New Jersey
- May 5, 2011 - "Avoiding Litigation: How to Protect your Practice in Today's Environment" Seminar - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Maryland Society of Accountants
- October 7, 2010 – "Compliance for CPA's who are also Registered Representatives" Seminar - Baltimore, Maryland
- St. John's University
- Course: Securities Arbitration Clinic – Frequent guest lecturer on Brokerage Arbitration